Kathleen Mulally (@KMulally) shared a photo of a Vote No yard sign on twitter yesterday and had this to say:
Battle 4 protecting #traditionalmarriage has begun!!Every Registered Voter in MN needs 2vote in Nov. #MarriageAmendment
A couple thoughts:
- It’s great to see another Vote No yard sign! Here’s mine the night I got it! Be sure to get one too!
- While amendment proponents have been around for a while now, they are going to start coming out in full force; expect to see posts like this on social media sites, letters to the editors, etc.
- If you happen to see a friend, co-worker or family member post something like this, take the time to have a conversation. People are 67% more likely to move to our side when they hear from someone they know.
- Don’t get upset with the person and don’t try to argue it out. Calling names and using profanities doesn’t accomplish anything. In fact, it actually makes our side look bad. Instead, take the time to explain why this topic matters to you and why the constitution is no place to have this conversation.
- Share these types of examples with your friends. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard, “Oh, this will never pass here in Minnesota!” from people. In reality, there’s a very high likelihood that this amendment could pass in November. We all need to understand that there are many folks out there like this Twitter user who will be trying to “protect” marriage.
By getting out there, sharing our stories and helping educate other voters, we really have a chance at beating this thing. But make no mistake, it’s going to take a LOT of hard work and dedication from Minnesotans across this great state to spread the word: Vote NO.
To Ms. Mulally, I’d be more than happy to have a conversation. I think once you had the chance to meet me, you’d realize that I’m a pretty good guy and that my love really doesn’t threaten your “traditional” marriage in any way.
To everyone else, I’m ready for the conversation. I hope you’re with me.